The fortress of St.John

  • tvrdjava-sv-ivan1

    tvrdjava-sv-ivan1

  • ivana_2

    ivana_2

St. John's fortress is located on the hill, 115 m high above the old town centre of Šibenik. It was built up in 1646 in the form of a star according to the project of the Venetian military engineer Antonio Leni, in order to protect the town from Turkish attacks from the hinterland.

It is interesting that the construction of the fortress lasted for only one month and a half (six weeks) because the inhabitants of Šibenik were afraid of Turkish attacks so they helped building it up, too.

DirectionsAddress