Skradin

The Town of Skradin, situated only about 15 km from Šibenik, represents one of the oldest Croatian cities. The area was inhabited from as early as the times of the Illyrians, and it owes its name to the Romans since the town was a part of the Roman property in Dalmatia.

The antique town of Scardona, an important administrative, traffic and trade centre, was built at the location of the Illyrian town. It was destroyed in the 7th century, during the attacks of the Slavonic tribes, but was restored by the Croats. Under the name of Skradin, it was for the first time mentioned in the 10th century as the seat of the bishop.

Its position nearby the National Park "Krka" makes it one of the most important Adriatic destinations in relation to nautical tourism. The ACI nautical port is located in the centre of Skradin. Accommodation is available in the hotel "Skradinski buk", pensions, apartments and private rooms.

DirectionsAddress

Knin

The Town of Knin is situated near the spring of the river Krka, and it lies on the border between Bosnia, Lika and Dalmatia. It is located at the crossroads of very important paths between the hinterland and the sea. Due to this fact, it has been called "The Key to Croatia and The Gate to Dalmatia’’ very often. It is situated 55 km from Šibenik, on the slopes of the hill Spas.

In the past, Knin was a fortified town and the most powerful fortress in Dalmatia due to its position, defensive strength and weaponry. Since its foundation, the town had to be defended from many enemies. The Knin Tower, with its thick walls, is the best witness to this. The Byzantine Emperor Constantine Porphyrogenitus mentioned Knin for the first time in the 10th century as the seat of the Country of Tnena.

However, the broader area of Knin was populated much earlier than the 10th century, which has been proved by numerous archaeological founds. During people's dynasty, Knin was a temporary, and later, during the reign of King Tomislav, a permanent capital of the Croatian state. Knin and its surroundings are well-known for their gourmet specialities: Dalmatian ham, cheese, lamb's meat on stick and other excellent dishes and wines.

Accommodation is available in the hotels "Mihovil" and "Ivan", pensions and family houses.

Drniš


Geographicaly, Town of Drnis is central point of Sibenik region. It takes only 30 km driving down the main county road from Šibenik to Drnis.

The first written mention on Drnis dates from 1494. Past can be experienced sightseeing historical remains of several medieval fortresses, which presented defensive system along the Krka and Čikola canyons, such as Gradina, Ključica and others. In 15th century Drniš is conquered by Turks, and the traces of those times are still visible in the architecture. The present church of St. Anthony of Padua was built on the foundations of the mosque and has kept its vaulted dome and ornaments. Visitors can also see the westernmost preserved minaret which was built by Ottoman Empire. In the 18th century Venetians took over Drnis, after them follows a period of Austro-Hungarian governance, with short period of French governance.

In 19th century Drniš is experiencing intense economic and social development, mostly due to the development of coal mining. Export of brown coal from Siverić was documented in 1767, while systematic excavation begins in 1836. Coal was exported from the port of Sibenik towards all major Mediterranean ports. Development of mining started development of infrastructure. From 1874. to 1877. the railroad was built from Siverić to Split, with a branch towards Sibenik. In 1909. a hydroelectric power plant on Roski slap was built.

Drniš area is place of exceptional nature: islet Visovac and Roški Slap waterfall present some of the most beautiful spots of National park "Krka", and Čikola canyon is protected landscape.

Drnis area is homeland of a major world artist Ivan Mestrovic, and was a lasting inspiration for his work. Many of his sculptures, fountains and paintings can be seen in Drniš. The Most Holy Redeemer Church, in which is his tomb, is in nearby village Ružić.

Drnis tradition is preserved in lifestyle and local gastronomy. One of its trademarks is traditional Drniš prosciutto, with unique quality due to the specific microclimate conditions of the area. It can be tasted on rural households and restaurants in Drniš area.

Besides tradition, Drniš offers its visitors a large number of facilities for active holidays such as bike trails, walking and hiking trails along the Čikola and Krka canyons and the mountain Promina. Equipped canyoning routes, rock climbing venue and zip-line in the Čikola canyon are also available.