Church of St. John the Baptist

  • crkva_1

    crkva_1

  • crkva_2

    crkva_2

  • crkva_3

    crkva_3

  • crkva_4

    crkva_4

  • crkva_5

    crkva_5

  • crkva_6

    crkva_6


Church of St. John the Baptist in Badanj was until 1886 the parish church of Petrovo Field and Drniš. There is evidence that there was a church on this spot even in pre-Ottoman times (in 13th and 14th century), and it was built in Gothic style. At the beginning of the Croatian Independence War, this church was completely demolished. While clearing the ruins of the church and during floor excavations, approximately 30 architectural items in Gothic sacral building style were found. It is assumed that here was also an Early Christian church from 9th to 11th century. From 1996 – 1998, after the Croatian Independence War, using the same style and same foundations, a new church and a new stone bell tower were built. In the presbytery a big crucifix was placed.