Church of St. Anthony of Padua

  • crkva_1

    crkva_1

  • crkva_2

    crkva_2

  • crkva_3

    crkva_3

  • crkva_4

    crkva_4

  • crkva_5

    crkva_5

  • crkva_6

    crkva_6


The building of the church of St. Anthony of Padua dates back to the Ottoman period, and was built in the mid-16th century. Originally, it was a mosque. Franciscans from Visovac at the end of XVII century converted it into the church of Our Lady of the Rosary, and it later became the Church of St. Anthony. Since then it has been upgraded and reconstructed several times, and in 1907 the presbytery was built. However, to this day the central part of the building has kept its original structure with a vault in the form of semi-domes covered with stone slabs. On the inner surface of the dome original ornaments from the Ottoman period made in the Moorish style have been preserved. Original windows, stone wreath and immured doors at the front of the church are also preserved. The church is a cultural monument and has been restored, along with the bell tower, after the Croatian Independence War.